Friday, April 8, 2016

More Waiting

She too waits. 
This sister in law of mine. 
Sister of my farmer.
Who walks the road of grief. 
It's been six months since she stood at the grave.

She waits now for biopsy results. 
Abnormal normal cells; growth on her thyroid. 
We are guaranteed nothing in this world. 
Only God's love. 
It's the constant. 
It's truth. 
There is cancer. 
In her thyroid. 
And it feels for a moment that the earth has shifted. 
Tilted. 
She tells me a funny joke before she tells me the results of the tests. 
Much like her mother. 
But so like her dad. 
And now begins another chapter. 
Reaching. 
Holding tightly. 
There are no assurances this side of heaven. 
We are not promised an easy walk. 
The pain and uncertainty keep coming. 
This is the third sibling with cancer. 
The college girl recoils at the news. 
She asks, "Mom, are we at risk?"
Mortality rearing it's head as the college girl jumps another hurdle. 
I want to protect her and say no. 
She is fine. 
She will live a long life and I will see her walk
 down the aisle in a beautiful wedding dress. 
But you know what?
I don't know that. 
At all. 
I only know that this life is the only one I have. 
That God has a purpose and meaning in everything. 
That there is never, ever a time when He is not in control. 
And so I laugh a belly laugh with my sister in law. 
I pledge to drive her to her appointments. 
She chides me that all I want is the coffee. 
And she's partly right. 
Because who really wants to go to the hospital?
Who really wants to suffer? 
I remind the college girl of truth. 
Of a Savior who loves her; unconditionally. 
This is not our home. 
We were created for more.

Another journey is beginning. 
But one that has passed through the fingers of a most Holy God. 
It is in His name we have strength. 
His name is a strong tower. 
His name is wonderful.  

There is hope, above all else in that precious name. 

No matter what you're facing today.
I pray that you have hope. 
A beautiful hope rooted in deep faith. 
A place where words cease. 
A place so holy one can hear the brush of angel's wings. 

We will continue to give glory to God. 
We will continue to walk strong in the Power of the name of Jesus. 
My sister in law is one of the strongest people I know.
She has weathered so many storms. 
She feels more than any one I know. 
She chose life at a young age and has never wavered. 

We get ready to hang up. 
I tell her I will talk to her tomorrow. 

Tomorrow will come. 
A new day. 
A new dawning. 


All wrapped and held tightly by the One who calls us beloved. 

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. 
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, 
for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."



No comments:

Post a Comment