Monday, April 25, 2016

The Boys

The farm boy; my only boy. 

I used to say boys. 

A moment; forever changed. 

My brothers, always called "the boys."
Mom's words echo;
 "have you talked to the boys?" 
Grown men with families. 
The boys.

Naturally I began to call my sons; 

the boys. 
I loved calling them that. 



I loved having 2 boys. 



They fought. 
Tousling. 
Angry. 
Dominance. 
Fists clenched. 
War.
Strength. 
Awful. 
Until. 
Maturity. 
Alliance. 



Friendship.
Early on it was as cohorts against public enemy number one;
Mom. 
An alliance while playing video games. 
Competition. 
This beautiful interaction was just beginning. 
When it ended. 


Now, there is one. 
He wrestles with this new role. 



Oldest boy. 
Only boy. 
He walks the stairs each night past the closed door. 
Past the silence. 
Each time molding and shaping who he is becoming. 
You see this farm boy; made a choice. 
He entered the waters of baptism. 



He aligned himself with the living God. 

And the enemy of our souls reared. 

The farm boy went head to head with challenge after challenge. 

His brothers death left him vulnerable. 




He rebelled and fought. 
Until he made a choice. 
To surrender to that baptism. 
To stand strong in the face of opposition. 
This mama and a slew of others bowed low. 
Digging deep. 
We worked. 
On our knees;
 Interceding for this amazing young man. 
And he shed that skin of discontentment. 
He threw off the chains that brought him down. 
Step by step he is yielding; submitting to the Father's will. 
It is still a painful battle. 
He misses his brother. 
He, nor any of us, understand. 
And the missing is deep. 
That farm boy is taking his energy and creativity
 and turning it into something beautiful. 



He's taking something worn down and discouraged and
 breathing into it new life. 


Isaiah 43:19
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.



We have a Savior who longs to do the very same for each and everyone of us. 
He sees the plan that is obscured from our view. 
He is working. 
He is doing a new thing. 
We're taking off the scales to see. 
We're reaching for hope, when all seems lost. 

I continue to not like this road. 
Yet, along the way I don't want to miss the beauty that awaits. 
My purpose is beyond what I can see. 
My worn down, discouraged self is stepping out and seeking the new thing. 
I want to be refreshed and given new eyes to see. 
Not in my own strength but always in his. 
Won't you take this journey with me? 

Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; 
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

No comments:

Post a Comment