Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Why Does God let Bad Things Happen

It seems so unreal
Each morning I wake through a fog.
 Hoping it isn't so. 
Hoping the circumstances have changed and
 the journey is different. 
But it is not. 



Commencement
 an act, instance, or time of commencing.
A Beginning.

This was the beginning of a new journey for Elijah.
He and his classmates have dreams.
They are a dedicated and wonderful group.
Musical, smart, ambitious, eloquent speakers.
They are the future; the next generation. 


But God allowed the unthinkable, the unimaginable to happen.


Now we are  a part of a new Commencement;
 an act, instance, or time of commencing


We don't know what this new beginning will look like. 
There was no application.
No FAFSA
No paper signing.


This beginning is: painful, heart wrenching and undesirable.

So, "Why does God let Bad things Happen?"
Why didn't God turn Elijah's wheel back onto the road?
Why couldn't they revive him. 
Why couldn't there have been a miracle?

God is Good because of who he is;
 not because of what he does.
We are not mere puppets on a string.
There is great evil in this world. 
But we have one who has overcome and one day we 
will spend all of eternity in those everlasting arms.

I do not pretend to understand all of this.


Hebrews 11:1-3
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for 
and assurance about what we do not see. 
 This is what the ancients were commended for.
 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, 
so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.


I don't know why God took Elijah home so soon. 
I have many unanswered questions. 
But what I do know is that without a shadow of a doubt:
God was there. 
God has always been there.
And he will continually to be there.
He is big enough to handle my questions, 
my screams of agony. . .and yes anger. 
He will handle it all. 
I will lean, and I will trust. 

Someone sent us a card with part of this verse. 
Isaiah is a prophet who brings great comfort to his people.
 I was glad for the reminder.

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

10 comments:

  1. I've been wondering the same thing.. " Why does god let bad things happen" and to good people? There are tons of horrible people out there in this world that do wrong and kill people but yet they remain on this beautiful earth. But poor Elijah taken to soon, such a beautiful soul... Once again so Sorry for your loss. Just know he is with you all during this difficult time watching over each and everyone of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God needs Elijah with him more than he is needed here. We all have a purpose and a plan and God is the designer and implementer. Find peace in knowing that Elijah is truly living up to his potential now. He will not be forgotten. He will be remembered with fondness and inspiration. You enable us all to believe is a greater good and a higher power. Words aren't enough...but they are all we have at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe God lets or makes things happen at all. Things happen by actions. But I truly believe that God loves us so very much and rejoices in our happiness and helps us get through our sorrows. Most of all when we die we go with him into his heart forever feeling his love. Those of us left behind are the ones to suffer the physical loss of our loved ones until one day we will again be with those who have gone before us. Only then will we understand and only then will we truly find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember something Christian Courtemanche once said in a JCC Sunday School class, about the death of Lazarus. For Martha, who accused and demanded answers, Jesus gave answers - hard answers requiring faith, but true. For Mary, who needed consolation, He wept. Sometimes I am Martha, sometimes I am Mary, all the time He is Jesus, my friend. And yet I also recall the grief-stricken complaint of C.S. Lewis in "A Grief Observed" - in the first few days of agony he called God "a very absent help in trouble." When the Head seems absent, Tammy, I hope the hands of His body will be a refuge and strength. Not a strength that confines and restricts, but that upholds and protects while you and your family do and say whatever needs to be done and said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS and so glad you are journaling/blogging. It worked for Lewis and for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, I have just read all of your posts and the Comments. My heart continues to break for all of you. I know that My Redeemer liveth! Although we can't understand, we can know He is always holding us!

    I Love You
    Jean Drury

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss ! I Had a stroke when 44yrs. old don't understand it or no why I cry and pray for a Miracle everyday so much was taken from me but keep praying and going in hopes to understand someday why ? God Bless You and I hope you can understand why this happened to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To the Davis Family,

    I have prayed for your family for many years because Tammy was willing to share her deepest hurts,wants,and wishes for loved ones who were suffering. Now the pain has crossed the thresh hold into your own home and I don't know how to make it better aside from asking God to be your everything.I cry with you and will rejoice in each little step you take forward, but I know that God alone is going to carry you through this on a day to day basis. My love and prayers continue. Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Tammy, I've been asking this same question lately. This song by Amy Grant sums it up beautifully.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUFJJ-5K_LY

    I am hugging you tight right now, and praying that God will POUR out His love over you and your family.

    Amy, an (in)courage sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy, in the first few years after my Luke died, I asked that question too...and what I came to realize is this: we see only a very small part of the picture; and our view of life, death and eternity is very different than the Lord's view of them. :) Life is something we cling to; death something we dread, despise and even fear; eternity is something we can only hope to begin to grasp. God, on the other hand, understands them all perfectly. Life is a fleeting thing from His perspective....if a thousand years is but a day to Him, what is a human lifetime? The blink of His eye! And the whole "Why did God take him?" question became the understanding the he DIDN'T TAKE our sons, but He sure was happy to received them!
    This side of Heaven, we may never know why our sons died at such young ages, but this we CAN know: they're happier than they ever imagined they could be; they are WITH Jesus!; they're thankful that we taught them about Him, and helped them find their way Home; and they'll be excited to see us when we arrive - to them, in the blink of an eye - to us, in an "eternity".... ;) {{{HUG}}}

    ReplyDelete