Sunday, August 18, 2013

When is too much, too much?

A friend was just diagnosed with cancer.
She has 2 teenage children.
Uncertainty looms before them.

Another friend moved away and is now
in the battle of her life with cancer.
Oh how I miss her.

Our hearts ache and long for our redheaded boy.
I watch my children cry; their hearts broken.
Mine breaks a little more watching them.
It's been 8 months since my mom died.
How I long to share with her my deep ache.

My dad is in need of intense care.
My mind swirls with thoughts and my heart feels like. . .
this is too much.
Where do you go with deep grief;
with questions that remain unanswered?

James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, 
whenever you face trials of many kinds, 
 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 
Let perseverance finish its work so that you may 
be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

We are told to consider it joy "when" we face the trials. . .not if . . .
We have been warned. 
The trials are coming.
We need to be ready.



So where do I go when I am reliving the night of my sons accident over and over. . .
when my heart breaks watching my children grieve. . . 
when a friend is diagnosed with cancer. . . 
when the floods come and fields produce unusable hay?
When uncertainty permeates. . .

John 6:35
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. 
Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, 
and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

I head to the only safe harbor I know. . .

3 comments:

  1. Amen, He is our only safe harbor! Thank you for pointing us to the scriptures He has given for such times as these. Thank you for continually lifting His name through the midst of heartache.

    Praying for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is broken for your loss of your precious son, Elijah. I will lift you up before the Lord for strength for this journey. He is our refuge when there is nothing else. Martha

    ReplyDelete