Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Love Story, Happy 20th Anniversary to My Farmer

September 17, 2013 facebook post
20 years ago today, I went to work and then headed to the farm to help finish chores. Gary and I went to the Tunbridge Fair. It was a gorgeous fall night. Little did I know what the evening held in store. A few hours later,  my best friend asked me to spend the rest of our lives getting to know each other, to serve God and continue our friendship as husband and wife. He gave me his great grandmothers ring. Which fit perfectly. We got married less than a month later. . . that story in a few weeks. . .


Well, it's been a few weeks. . .and here is the rest of the story:
 On September 17,1993 I became engaged.
The very thought, even to this day brings a smile to my face.
It was romantic and magical and. . . not what my farmer had planned.
He had wanted to propose on the Ferris Wheel.
Even back then, I was too cheap. 
And the thought of paying all that money to ride the Ferris Wheel seemed ridiculous.
So, he asked me to spend the rest of our lives getting to know each other, serving God together and continuing our friendship as husband and wife in. . . the horse barn. 
I was so surprised. 
Of course I said yes. 

Early the next morning I hurried to my soon to be Mother in Law's. 
A twinkle in her eye, so much like her son, made me realize, she already knew.
There was a flurry of excitement as the word spread.
(That happens in a large, close knit family)
And before 9:00 in the morning we were off to look for wedding gowns and begin the planning.

By that afternoon, we had purchased a gown and set a date.
We would marry in less than 4 weeks. 
But for this family, 4 weeks is nothing.
And within days all the details of a full wedding were complete. 

Somehow, there was enough time to surprise me with a bridal shower.








October 16, 1993
 would dawn a beautiful day.
I was marrying the one I had prayed for; my best friend.

Philippians 1:3
I thank my God every time I remember you.


The reception was in the new barn we were building.
All festive for the fall theme. 



Jimmy brought me to my dad in a horse and buggy.
That didn't work out so well for me.
Ask me about that sometime. . .
It was a wild ride.


Dad after the wild ride. . .walking me down the aisle. 
He will always be my hero.
Dementia can't take that. . . 


To honor Chelsea and help her feel a part of the ceremony,we surprised her with a ring.
It matches her dads.
Even though her daddy was getting married. She would always hold his heart. 

Until Adam came and stole it away. . .
and made her the happiest girl on earth. . .


I had planned every detail of that wedding. . .or so I thought.
Part way through the ceremony. . . the Road Crew. . .(the band Gary played in) all surrounded us. . .
And my farmer sang me a love song that we still cherish to this day. 







It was a magical day. One I would do over and over again if I could. 
We had so much fun. 

These 20 years have been rich and full.
Our marriage hasn't been perfect. 
We have  fallen short of the glory of God many times. 
We forget to keep NO record of wrongs, we forget to be patient and kind.
We forget how fun date night can be. 
I Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

But God's mercy and grace has followed us in a mighty way,
 as we have sought Him in our marriage.


If you look just below the middle of the photo, you will see a cloud in the shape of a circle. 
This was during the exchange of our rings during the ceremony.
A beautiful display of God's majesty in the heaven's. . .

 And 20 years later, on the morning of the death of our son, 
God displayed his majesty again, in the shape of a heart. 


Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.


We have known great joy.
And lately, we have known deep, agonizing sorrow and uncertainty.
We have been blessed to have 20 years together.
I hope for many more. 
But more importantly, I hope to finish well.
I hope we have served God with all we have.
That our love, in some way,
 has mirrored the love Christ has for us.
And that God would continue to heal our broken hearts.

Happy Anniversary Gary Lee, my beloved farmer.
You still make me swoon, you still take my breath away.
Thank you for loving me.
Thank you for modeling what a Godly man looks like for our children.
And thank you for holding us all together when we feel like our world is falling apart.
It is an honor to be your wife and journey together in this life.

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful bride, handsome groom & inspiring love story. God has truly been faithful through the years, joy & sorrow, sadness & tears. Loved the photo of Clayt & Shirley, seeing them again brought back sweet memories. We are blessed to be married to our best friends, Tammy. May your hearts overflow with God's love on your special day ♥

    Love,
    Diane S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Sweet memories we have of some many gone too soon. . .Looking forward to spending some quality time together today. . .

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your day. You both deserve only happiness and joy. Here's wishing you many more years

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. Greg proposed to me at the horse barns at Maryland state Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! It was a great time. <3 Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!!! Gary and Tammy!!!!!

    Love to a beautiful couple!!!!

    Love,
    Joe & Robin
    Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful story, a wonderful family, a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete