Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pumpkins. . . They Can Leave You Undone. . .


Pumpkins.
Who knew? 
Who knew pumpkins would drive me to my knees. 

I tell my friend that once again I am not in the running for mother of the year. 
We did not grow pumpkins this year. 
Nor have I bought any. 
We were headed to get some last Thursday. 
Some apples too. 
But instead we got a call to go and welcome baby Lilah.
So, no pumpkins.
Just a wee little pumpkin seed to hold.



I move through the day making chicken and biscuits with 
mashed potatoes for more than 20 people.
It is my last night to host the Youth Bible Study.
And I wonder what am I doing? 
I have so much to get ready to be gone all day for Gary's surgery.
I am cranky at one of my kids. 
And I am brought up short by cries from the kids that Connie got them pumpkins.
She walks in and hands me flowers.
She wraps me in a hug.
It leaves me undone. 

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

He cares about all the details.
It doesn't feel that way, because the one detail I want him to change, can't.
But pumpkins. 
He sends.
Not only through Connie, who comes in the front door. 
But Chris and Kristine, 
They come in the back door.
And they have a pumpkin carved with Davis Farm.
They did not know about my lack of ability to qualify for mom of the year. 
They did not know of my struggle.
They just came

I don't know what your journey is.
I don't know how your relationship with the Living God is going. 
But I know that I am being held.
I don't like most of this journey
But I know that God goes before me. 
He cares.
And as I plead before the throne today for my farmer.
I know that God has this cancer.
He has the surgery. 
He will guide Seth Harlow's hand.
And He will be glorified. 
Enjoy your pumpkins.

They are blessings. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you,Tammy, for reminding us of the simple gifts in life, and how they show up when you aren't expecting them! I am praying for Gary and you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lifting Gary up in prayer this morning, and thanking you for the role model of the wonderful Christian AND mother that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tammy, non of us get "the mother of the year" award. We are human and imperfect. God loves us just the way we are. And you know what? You are loved you just the way you are. I am grateful that we truly only have to live up to the standards of THE ONE who made us. HE is full of grace and mercy and HIS love is never ending. I am sending you a big hug this morning to tell you I love you just the way you are. Praying, praying, praying for Gary and you today. Martha

    ReplyDelete