Monday, May 25, 2015

Raising My Ebenezer

The smell intoxicating. 
I never knew how much those lilacs would come to mean to me. 


The years visiting my mother and father in law's grave. 
Breathing the deep scent.
 Now as I sit here at my sons grave, the tears flow and the ache gnaws  away; 
the heady scent is refreshing; comforting. 


For each moment needs to be turned to Praise. 
Because we are a people created to praise. 
To give glory and honor to the One who created all. 
It's strange to sit at your sons grave, in a century old cemetery and seek praise. 

But that's what I do. 

I give praise and thanks in the middle of the pain. 

Praise for the years he was here. 
Praise that I saw him graduate. 


Praise for the life he lived. 
The impact he made. 
I remember. 
I remember the day he was born. 
Even then, God teaching me to let go. 
I was so sick. 
Others held him before me. 

I look around the cemetery. 
Other beloved family members so close. 
Stones marking the lives of those loved dearly. 


Flags blowing in the gentle breeze, whispering of the past. 
I remember. 
Memorial Day. 
A day to remember. 
To honor. 
We must never forget. 

I Samuel 7:12
Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. 
He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far the LORD has helped us."

We erect memorials in our lives to mark events. 
We celebrate birthdays. 
We place markers at graves. 
It is in us to remember. 
Oral tradition of story telling originated from a desire to never forget. 

Deuteronomy 11:19
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

God tells us not to forget. 
Teach your children in everything you do. 
Each step you take. 
Every move you make. 

He has equipped us to carry His word to the people. 
We do this in word and deed. 

Let this Memorial Day be a remembrance of what Christ did for you. 
Of what your fellow men and women endured for your freedom. 
Remember. 
Never forget. 
Share it. 
Live it. 

What will you do to remember this Day? 




1 comment: