Sunday, July 7, 2013

They say Farm Life Prepares you for Death

Our little corner of the world was rocked yesterday when our dear Pemberly Longbourn Netherfield Davis was struck by a car and killed. Our bodies are wracked with sobs over the loss of our dear pet.



We are a family that is no stranger to death. It is part of the job of a dairy farmer. The cycle of life. . .if you will.

But does it prepare us any more than anyone else for loss? In some ways maybe so. Discussions of life and death begin at an early age around here. We do not take anything for granted. We are appreciative of all that God has given and taken.


The sudden loss of Gary's parents with in a year of each other was a shocker and painful. . .time has lessened the sting, but their presence is missed every day. This past fall my family endured loss after loss, as my parents dog became suddenly ill and needed to be put down; my dad's sister died a week later and 2 weeks later, the husband of my parents best friends died and 2 days later my mom passed after a long and courageous battle with cancer.
    So, we are no stranger to death. But does it made it easier? John 14:1-3  says, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”


We know where we are going. . . 


We have hope like no other. . .


We have loved deeply. . .


and these moments on earth are fleeting. . .


So, enjoy every stinkin' moment. . . .



So does farming prepare us for death? It is only our hope in God, who promises eternal life, that can prepare us for death. . . And the only way we will make it through. . . 

Because you never know when you will say Good Bye.


Good Bye Pemmie, 
Our home will never be the same. Be sure to give Nana a huge nose cleaning lick
 from all of us, because I am sure she was there to welcome you in. . .

Please take a moment and listen to this song as it ministers to us greatly

4 comments:

  1. The thing about death is that it was not part of Gods original plan in the garden. He knew beforehand and we thank him for the remedy of the cross, yes. But death is hard for us to take because we were made for eternity not death. Even the death of our pets, who are family members, even if we only come to know that in the end. Praying for your family as you deal with sadness and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering why Pemberly hadn't come by to play with Pedro the last couple of days. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Jenny, he was playing with Pedro when he was hit! Poor Pedro he was just sitting there looking forlorn. . .it's so sad. . .We really are a mess.

      Delete