Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Learning From Wandering Cows

My farmer brings the cows back to the field. 


They have been wandering. 
Stepping over fences. 
Moving outside their boundaries. 


It's not the first time. 


This group pushes and tests the boundaries. 

Repeatedly. 



My farmer calls to them. 
They know him, and hear his voice. 
He leads them back to safety. 

We are like those frisky heifers. 
We're eager to see what is just beyond. 
To feel there is more; just beyond our reach. 
The boundaries; set to protect us. 
Protect us from things we do not even know or understand. 
Lines erased, justified, compromised. 
As small children, parameters are placed for our protection. 
Stern commands to set the boundaries. 
Still. 
Immediate desire to go against the flow. 
Break the rules. 
Stretch the limits. 

Until. 

That gentle Shepherd finds us. 

Jeremiah 31:3
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.

He gently leads us home. 

Today is Elijah's 20th birthday. 
He has spent 3 birthday's in heaven. 
Some days I want life to stop. 
To not move on. 
I step over those boundaries. 
I attempt to take a path that is outside the way. 
Lovingly and gently my Shepherd brings me back. 
My eyes just need to remain focused. 
I need to hear his voice. 
Spend time with Him so I can recognize His call. 

If you're wandering and feel lost. 
Take time to get to know the One who can lead you home. 

Elijah's greatest gift to me will always be his walk with the Lord. 
He was not perfect; by any means. 
Yet he left this legacy. 
This was no accident or coincidence. 
Thank you my boy. 
For the gift. 


Yet I am confident I will see you again. 
Happy 20th sweetheart. 







1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking of you, your family, and of course especially Elijah this morning. As I sit here timing contractions I'm wondering if today will be the day for new life in my family as it was in yours 20 years ago. Thank you for today's post. As always your words are filled with inspiration and love.
    ((Hugs))
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete