Friday, October 16, 2015

Serve, Sacrifice, Surrender

 
 
22 years.
6 children.
 


 
 
1 grandchild.
 
 
1 child in heaven.
 
 
1 nephew just joined them.
3 of our parents there as well.
The one still here dancing with the memory thief.
 
And here we are.
Living in the nest where one has flown the coop.
Where she fluffs her own nest.
Where one has soared to heaven.
Where one attends college.
 
The nest has changed.
 
Is changing.
 
And it's hard.
Some days it's hard to remember there is joy.
Some days it's hard to remember to serve the other.
 
I Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud
 
Love is all these things.
These things I forget.
With the onslaught of the tyranny of the urgent pressing in;
gentleness is often pushed aside.
When emotions become your compass and your eyes turn toward yourself;
love takes a back seat.
 
Words like service, sacrifice and surrender are often over looked.
Yet are foundational to the survival of marriage.
I am digging deep and taking a good look at these words today.
 
22 years ago I promised to sacrifice, serve and surrender.
I am not so sure I am doing a very good job of that lately.
 
I can't say the last few years have been easy.
The struggle to live each day often leaving me exhausted.
But I can say through it all we have been held.
We have chosen the better way.
 
Today is a new day.
A new beginning.
A renewal of the covenant.
A celebration.
 
 
I Corinthians 13:5
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
 
This I will keep in my heart.
This will be my goal.
 
Happy 22 years to my farmer.
There are more seeds to sow.
There is much ground to cover.
I look forward to working together to;
serve, sacrifice and surrender.
 
Don Williams
 
Years from Now
 




 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment