Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Remembering

We stand at the grave. 
This college friend and I. 
Last together when life didn't hold so many painful pieces.
Back when life was still fresh and young. 
This day we stand at the grave of my oldest son. 


"Tell me about Elijah, " she says. 
My eyes fill with tears. 
It's been months since I have let myself think of him. 
Months since I have paused to remember. 
Because in the remembering the searing ache lies. 
The sharp pain of who he was and will never be. 
The kind and caring, yet hot tempered red head. 
So handsome. 
So bent on being right. 
Blue, blue eyes. 



Perfect teeth from suffering through surgeries and braces. 
Smooth, pink skin. 
My son. 

Not all remembering brings pain. 
God was intent on us remembering. 
He wanted us to remember to not fear; 

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Today is a day to remember a covenant made. 
A day our family celebrated and treasured. 


It is our oldest daughters 3rd Anniversary. 



The day she and her husband promised to love and cherish 
until death do they part. 



A commitment they don't take lightly. 
Each working to strive to help and serve the other. 
My farmer and I watch with tenderness as the husband of this stubborn farm girl chooses patience and understanding. 

We watch as this team encourages our precious grand daughter. 


We step into grace as we expect another grandchild in March. 

This day we remember; 
the covenant made. 


The joy of the day. 




In remembering we remain steadfast. 

Deuteronomy 32:7
Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past. Ask your father and he will tell you, your elders, and they will explain to you.






Happy 3rd Anniversary to our Oldest Farm girl 
and the only man my farmer would hand her off to. 






May you continue to love and respect each other. 
May you seek romance and choose joy. 
May you continually bring our farmette home to visit. 


Alan Jackson 
Remember When





No comments:

Post a Comment