Friday, February 6, 2015

Lifting My Eyes Heavenward

He creeps in and tries to tell me lies. 
Lies that I am sad. 
That I will always be sad. 
Lies that bring me down. 
That enemy that would love to see us in despair.
My heart sinks deeper and deeper. 
My energy sapped. 
It is in the middle of shredding carrots into the salad that I am struck. 
Struck by the awareness of the heaviness of grief. 
Another that I love dearly, is finishing her race here on this earth. 
The one that shares a birthday with my mom. 
A middle name spelled the same. 
A love of music and books. 
And she lays quiet in her hospital bed in hospice. 
And I touch her. 
She soon will be in the presence of the Almighty. 
And she will also see my son.
She will cross that veil. 
And my heart breaks. 
I want to scream because these losses are close together. 
I watch her family. 
I know the grief. 
The pain. 
The pain of losing a mom. 
And while I make that salad. 
I turn my thoughts to the giver of life.
I open my heart to the King of Kings. 
I will not believe the lies. 
God has numbered our days. 
This is not our home. 
While what we do here is important, it is not all there is. 
There is deep grief and sorrow. 
There is also deep joy and rich hope.
Lifting my eyes heavenward. 


Psalm 91:1
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High 
shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord
He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

So weep not for me my friend
When my time below does end
For my life to Him belongs
Who will raise the dead again.


No comments:

Post a Comment