Thursday, January 29, 2015

Learning Not To Fear The Quiet

 The sun shines on the newly fallen snow. 
It has that sparkle. 
I sit in my bedroom, in the bay window. 


The warmth from the sun has been beckoning all morning. 
I have been so cold. 
It feels good to be warm. 
I hold the Ancient Word in my lap. 
I close my eyes. 
To be quiet in the presence of a Holy God. 
No requests. 
No words. 
Quiet. 
No lists. 
No worries. 
I am still. 
Yet I fear. 
I fear what He will say. 
Since the accident. 
Since the cancer. 
It's hard to be quiet and still. 
I am quick with words. 
Thankful words. 
Words of request. 
Words of gratitude. 
But the quiet; that is harder. 
And so, today. 
I sit. 
With the sunshine pouring over me. 
Quiet. 

Galatians 3:5 flutters into my thoughts. 
Not a verse I can quote.  
I open the word. 

Galatians 3:5
So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and 
work miracles among you by the works of the law, 
or by your believing what you heard?

God is the one who works the miracles. 
He does the work. 
My job is to rest. 
Something I find hard to do. 
I do not need to fear my thoughts. 
Or the quiet. 
Thoughts of the accident and the ensuing months are hard to digest. 
In the quiet they come. 
Slowly, I hand each thought to God. 
He will carry me. 
God will accomplish His work. 
I lean into the quiet. 
I let the spirit pour over my weary soul. 
I do not have to do all the work. 
God wants us to rest. 
In Him. 

Are you resting in Him?

Matthew 11:28
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment