Monday, January 26, 2015

Monday Musings

He talks about a heart change. 
About the bubbling that can spew from our mouths; a condition of our hearts. 
Another speaks of having every thought held captive. 
And my heart sours. 
These young people. 
So many. 
Once the youth in bible study and youth group. 
Now parents of small children. 
And I am taken back to the time when they were younger. 
How I loved their digging deep; their probing questions. 
And now here. 
When they are grown. 
Digging deep together. 
This is a gift. 
I usually teach. 
Not a student. 
I haven't attended a Sunday School class in 15 years. 
Teaching; my gift. 
My desire. 
My passion. 
But a son snatched from this earth and the 
diagnosis of cancer stifled any thoughts of teaching. 
Sundays painful. 



Barely wanting to attend church. 
The questions. 
The music. 
The whole families. 
Mine broken. 
Missing. 
Hurting. 
Death knocking, knocking. 
Now, a year later. 
Cancer prayerfully on the other side of the wall. 
A different way of living without the oldest farm boy. 
Sunday School seems to be an option and after the holidays we take the plunge. 
We face the crowd.
The stares. 
Only to find. 
Warmth. 
Digging deep. 
Hope. 
Intense study of God's word. 

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

The gift of all these young people.
These young people who have returned to the church of their youth. 
To unwrap scripture. 
I gaze around the room. 
Multigenerational. 
I breathe deep.


Mark 8:18
Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? 
And don't you remember?

We have to keep our eyes open to see the beauty. 
To capture the gifts. 
They are there. 
Each day. 
Each moment. 

Have you seen one today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment