Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Calves! They're Everywhere!

Sunshine spilled over the mountain this morning. 


Cool mornings force us to use heat. 
Hot coffee awaits me as I stumble to the kitchen. 
I run the schedule through my head. 
I beat eggs and try not to burn toast. 
I burn eggs and the toast is safe. 
I continue the run through of the schedule. 
There's school work and book work. 
Calves need to be feed. 
Oh those calves! 
They're everywhere!





Calves always mean Spring here on the farm. 
The Winter is shedding it's skin. 
Milk production will return to a more comfortable place. 
The "hold your breath" feelings dissipate a bit. 
Cash flow begins to improve. 
This year, however, we are in the final stages of transitioning to Organic. 
This will complete a challenging year long process. 
Life is like that. 
Challenging. 
Needing to go the distance. 
We can't be sure what will happen. 
We can trust. 
Each calf that is born is a gift. 
New life. 
Some days the mama's do what they were created to do. 
There are no problems. 
Other days there is trauma and trouble. 
The outcome not so pleasant. 
Through each of those births my farmer waits patiently. 
He watches. 
He lets the mama's do their thing. 



Yet he is never far. 

It is the picture of our Holy God. 
He is never far. 
He waits.
Patiently. 


Genesis 28:15
I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until 
I have done what I have promised you."


No comments:

Post a Comment