Monday, December 23, 2013

Are You Overwhelmed By All The Christmas To Do's? Why Don't You Lay It All Down. . .Just For A Moment?

I sit on his bed. 
It's been 20 weeks since God called Elijah's name. 
I breathe in, hoping for a change in circumstances. Hoping to catch a scent. But there's nothing. 
He is not here and what remains is fading. 
It's been 20 weeks since I have seen his face or touched the child I bore down to bring life.
Longer than he would have been gone to boot camp; and it's only the beginning of the "longer thans". 
Each time the girls remember something about him. I ask them to tell me more. 
Describe to me in detail what they saw or were feeling. 
I don't want them to forget. 
I want them to remember. 


Remember Large hands and the sound of his voice.


Remember his love and commitment to this country
It takes work to remember. 
If we are to hide God's word in our heart we memorized scripture over and over. 
We spend time in the Word. 
We remember.
We share family history through story telling year after year; story after story; to never forget. 
And I want to remember how in this journey; when death has knocked at the door, when the farm hangs in the delicate balance of failure or success and cancer threatens to destroy our peace; I want to remember. . .

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

I want to remember the community that stops me for a hug at the bank and I don't know 
who it is until yesterday when she tells me. I was so distraught. 
I want to remember grace poured out as an offering by so many;
so we can have the basics through these tough months. 
I want to remember the notes and scriptures scratched out to encourage us.
 I want to remember to fall to my knees in humble submission before the greatest King ever known. 
And to remember that it is He, who will bring about the events according to His will and his plan.
 I don't want to forget. 


Our little corner of the world is encased in an icy display of wonder.
 It is a treacherous beauty. 
It shimmers and glitters with an ethereal effect.
Yet, cracks and pops with destruction in it's wings. 
All is frozen just as it is. Tree's bending with the weight. 
Threatening to yield to the burden it carries.
May we bend with the burdens of this world; but not be broken.
May there be beauty even in the treacherous. 
And may we never forget when the Holy touched the earth;
even the expanse of the sky declared it's presence.

Matthew 2:2
Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea 
in the days of Herod the king, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying
and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? 
We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him."

As you listen to this very familiar Christmas Hymn.
 May you, even for a moment, lay down all that burdens you;
 all that threatens to overwhelm and discourage you; 
all that distracts you from this season; 
all the preparation, wrapping, shopping. 
Just for a moment. . .stop. 

Come and Adore Him.
Give Him all the glory. 


Chris Tomlin
O Come All Ye Faithful



No comments:

Post a Comment