Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Pause In The Rush May Change Your Whole Tune

We have friends. Really. We do. 
They have retired well.  
 Donna and Harold have been faithful friends through the years.
First Gary, and then they inherited me. 
Harold and Gary played music together, while Donna and I forged a friendship.
It was Donna and Harold that we asked to be Elijah's God parents.
Donna felt uncomfortable and not spiritual enough. 
I told her she would get that way. 

Philippians 4:6-7
 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, 
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Praying for a baby as they grow into adulthood will change anyone. 


 Each summer Harold and Donna come and stay for a few weeks in their trailer 
looking at the mountain. They don't stay looking at the mountain the whole time. 
They do do others things. 
Harold is our resident "if it's broke, I'll fix it."
And Donna is my cheerleader. We play games, chat, shop a little. 
This year they decided to stay a month. Their grand daughter was graduating from college and Elijah was graduating from High School. 
Donna attended every dance performance, Lacrosse game and Senior activity I went to.
We planned meals together, and planned the day. It was so much fun.
She was my encourager and travel companion. 
People said you have someone in your house for a month?
They have their schedule and we have ours. 
We hardly saw them. 
Our house is big enough. 
Heck, there are places I haven't seen in this house, in 20 years, it's so big. 
(I am not kidding)
After Elijah's graduation Donna and Harold headed back to North Carolina. 
It is always hard when they leave. 
I love having them here. 
My kids love having them here. 
And I think they love being here too. 


They loved our Pemberly and he loved them. 
And when 2 weeks after they left, he was hit by a car and died in my arms; 
Donna sent a beautiful note and poem to soothe our aching hearts. 

They were gone for a little over a month, when our world was shattered.




And they came back. 
And they stayed. 
This time, Harold couldn't "fix what was broke".
But they patched, and sewed seeds of much love on this broken family. 
Donna guarded me like a mama bear. 
She answered the phone and loved on the little girls. 
I don't remember much about that time. 
I am just glad they stayed. 

The other day Donna sent me this link. 


Such a simple message. A typical scale; yet when played with pauses,
 it becomes the message of hope and joy for all Nations. 

May this Advent Season cause each one of us to breathe in deep
to take a pause in the everyday.
 To be a message of hope, and share the joy of that One little Child, 
born in a manger.

And the joy, the unspeakable joy that will rise in my soul, 
will be because of the joy that only a Savior can bring. 
It is deep down, where the holy meets the finite. 


8 comments:

  1. Harold was my dad's car pool mate for 35 years when they both worked at G.E. My father thought so fondly of him, and my mother always enjoyed Donna's visits. I am so grateful that you have been blessed with their unfailing friendship! Love the simple scale clip -- what a sweet reminder of what this season is all about!
    Love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are gifts to us. I had heard that clip last year. But this year with all that has gone on the significance of the pause. . . resonated with me. Blessings. Love you.

      Delete
  2. Tammy, you did it again. Stopped me in my tracks, and brought me to a place I need to be.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Love this reminder sweet friend. Praying for you.

      Delete
  3. Loved the Christmas scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Powerful reminder to pause and remember. God Bless. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Love the scale clip. Such a wonderful reminder that joy can be found in the simplest things, if we just take the time to pause. Thanks for sharing. Amy

    ReplyDelete