Monday, January 6, 2014

There Are Some Things That Need To Be Left Undone

I still have a few of them.
Most, I have given away. 
I found them that morning.
The morning he never came home.
 The morning the police met me at the door to tell me my son had been killed.
 That he was gone. 
There they were on the breakfast bar. 
I had hounded him day after day to write them. 
He would sit and write one or two while I cooked dinner or cleaned the kitchen.
We would talk.
It was nice.
Little did I know those moments would become so precious, so dear.
He didn't address them or put them in envelopes. 
He just wrote them and left them in the box. 
And I found them the morning he never came home to me. 
His thank you notes. 

\
While his world ceased turning; mine ticks on endlessly.
His last communication with many he loved. 
His tiny writing. 
His thoughtful words. 
All that's left. 
But he never finished them.

I think about how many things I have unfinished. 
It is like a well crafted art for me.
I have craft projects and letters that are not finished. 
I still have many thank you's to write. 
And I too, like my son, have not finished them. 
Part of the business he had left undone.
He was living life, not wrapping it up. 


He hadn't made final plans or even thought about them. 
Though he was thinking ahead. 
His Senior Testimony told us. 

Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which
 God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

What is it you have left undone?
 What is not finished? Words do you need to say?
The night he left. I hugged and kissed him. 
I have written this a thousand times. 
We didn't have unfinished business. 
It is imperative to live that way;
to not let the every day wear you down so you forget
 to love or say kind words. 
Or make time for the interruptions.
Are you so scheduled and busy that God can not interrupt you to do His work?
I want to be interruptible.
That might mean I have some things left undone.
 But they aren't the important things.
The important thing will be done.

I Corinthians 10:31
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, 
do it all for the glory of God



No comments:

Post a Comment