Sunday, January 19, 2014

How Climbing That Hill Is Always Better With Others

I went for a walk yesterday. 
It started out with my walking buddy. 
But God was writing my "To Do" list.


So we gained two other people.
It was glorious to be outside.
The sun was shining, the air crisp; yet invigorating.
(Not the, "I want to run back in the house feeling")
I haven't walked since the fall.


It's been too cold and icy.
And dark.
My walking partner and I are not hardy like that.
We are fair weather walkers.
Enough said in a state where the sun rarely shines.
And it's dark. 
But we walk today.
We get to the bottom of the hill and I am done.
I get ready to turn around.
Last fall I had worked my way up to walking part way up that hill.
It was a goal and we attained it.
Now though, I hadn't walked in 2 months.
I was done.
But my sister in law said no, let's go.
(this, after we had helped her with her groceries too!)
She taunted me.
Really.
She did.
And I went.
Up that hill. 
And I complained the whole way.
I think I even called her a name or two.
And said something about liking my other walking partner better.
It was getting ugly.
And then.
We made it.
We turned around.
I complained the whole way down.
Really. I did.
But you know what. I made it up that hill. I didn't think I could do it.
I didn't have what it takes to make it. But there were 3 others around me who thought I could.
And we did it.
And I feel fine today.
What hill do you need to climb? What hill can you help someone else climb?
Sometimes the hills are mountains and we can't make it alone. 
I have learned that the mountains in front of us are daunting unless the
body of Christ gathers round.
We all have mountains in front of us.
Have someone go the distance with you.
Invite someone into your circle to share. 
We shouldn't travel alone. 
Read the manual.
God's word will never fail. 
Be prepared.
We never know what life will bring to us. 
A well worn path will lead when it is too dark to see. 

I am looking forward to the view at the top of this mountain climb I am on.
I long to see clearly, what I can only see dimly now.

I Corinthians 13:12
For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. 
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

I want to finish this race well. 
I want each day to count for good. 
I long for each breath that I take to reflect the grace that God so freely pours out.
It can't be done alone.
And I can't do it myself. 
Only God can.


I am coming to the River and laying my burden down. 





No comments:

Post a Comment