Wednesday, November 27, 2013

We Are Called By Name. . . Day #27 of Thankfulness

It is the day before Thanksgiving.
There are preparations to make. 
Much to do.
Lists to make.
Items to check off for completion.
The house echos with memories of years gone by. Tables moved around making room for the guests who will descend on the farm. Chairs gathered from all parts of the house to be sure all have a space. Name tags will be made. Each person will have a place.
Each name will be carefully placed with love. 
It reminds me of my name, which is written on His hand. 

Isaiah 49:16
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.

He has called us by name. He knows who we are. He created us. 
Names are so important. We agonize over what to call our children. Significant thought goes into each naming. The Jewish tradition places much emphasis on naming. We see in Luke 1:60, that Elizabeth speaks up, "but his mother spoke up and said, "No! He is to be called John." There was purpose and power for the name. In Isaiah 9:6 Jesus is spoke of, it says, " For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" We sing this even today, in Handel's most powerful "Messiah". 

Elijah was going to be named Cedric, after Gary's Grandfather. A wise, honest, hardworking man. Yet, in the barn one day, very pregnant, I don't know if "I heard a voice", it was more a feeling. I knew I was to name him Elijah; the Lord is my Jehovah. And so we named our first boy. That boy who we so loved and now reigns on High with the King of Kings. 

Isaiah 43:1
But now, this is what the LORD says-- he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.


It is that sweet name of Jesus, the name above all names that brings healing to the hurt, peace to the troubled and joy to the afflicted. 

Today begins the festival of lights, Hanukkah, for the Jewish Nation. It is a reminder of the oil, needed to light the Menorah. On this night there was only enough for one night. 
Yet God provided enough for 8 nights. 
Though my tradition does not celebrate Hanukkah, my Jesus did. And I wonder at the power of the Son of God, as a child, celebrating the nights that God provided light, as He himself would become the light of the world. 
Light, Love, repentance, obedience, mercy and grace.

Day #27 of Thankfulness

I am thankful for:
This journey of Thankfulness, as my mind has focused on the goodness of God, my heart has followed
Even in the struggle, hope of Christ fills me
Strength for the moment, day by day
Kids snuggling together watching Christmas movies
Trading eggs for milk, as those silly chickens are on strike
My coffee, the word and a day filled with grace and love
A son who so desperately wants to spread manure (you laugh but it is so important)
A husband who is so busy, yet drops all to serve our Mighty God as a deacon
For heat in the bedroom (I know I like it cold, but not THAT cold)
Shelter in the storm
Memories, as life continues without mom and Elijah
Prayers of those around us, when the journey is too hard, they lift us up
Visitors throughout the afternoon and into the evening
Crystal, what joy she brings me
Her sister Alaria and fiance Scott
the anticipation of Chelsea coming home
A day of cooking
A day of remembering
coffee and time to sit and ponder God's goodness and mercy
His name which is above all other

"My name is written on His hands,
My name is written on His heart"



No comments:

Post a Comment