Tuesday, November 5, 2013

To Turn Back Time. . .Day # 5 of Thankfulness

We have turned the clocks back an hour.
So easy.
Just turn the knob, press a button.
Boom.
It's finished.
We gain an hour.
Just like that.
Oh, how I long for one more hour.

Yet, I think, if I knew; if I knew I had only one hour left with Elijah, would it have changed anything? 
My mom just left the earth in December. We knew she was dying. We begged the Lord to take her. We told her we loved her over and over. We told her it was o.k. to leave. And it was. It wasn't really, but it was. She had lived a good life-too short in my book. (Though the definition of  too short would change in a little over 7 months) She had fought a valiant battle with cancer.
It was time. But she lingered.
Oh the agony of watching your dear mother hang in the balance of this world and the next.
God was still present. He was still sovereign. . .and Good.
Hebrews 4:16
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence; 
so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. 

 I was not granted another hour with Elijah. His life abruptly ended; with no warning.
Time can not be turned back.
Time marches forward.
A steady beat.

Click on the link to hear
Mikayla's tribute to Elijah

 I was granted a hug and a kiss before he left.
I was granted moments in that day that are ingrained forever.
Even while they were happening they were crisp.
Everything with Elijah was like that.
There are no guarentee's in this life.
We need to be ready.
We may be called home at any moment.
Are you ready?
Have you healed relationships?
Have you loved well?

But I have been granted other hours, on this earth to finish the life I have.
I want to finish them well.
I want to be found faithful.
I want my life to count for God's Kingdom.

On this day #5 of Thankfulness
I am Thankful for:
A daughter that lights up a room with her laugh


My first girl, so delicate and sweet
her friendships
her unwavering faith in the Lord
her ability to derail any serious conversation where she may be in a wee bit of trouble
The way she loves her siblings


her love for her brother who now resides with the King of Kings


her heart that is strong and sensitive
her messy room
(I am putting into practice the attitide change)
her musical and athletic ability
leadership qualities
her confidence in who she is in the LORD
for getting her license in a truck she had never driven
her blatant honesty
her strength when she lost her sweet puppy and brother in 2 weeks time
her willingness to still tell me too much information
For texting when she leaves and arrives at a place just because she knows it helps me
for all the years of driving to and from MA while Nana was sick
never complaining when I missed games, or concerts because I was out of town taking care of Nana
Making the best Pumpkin Latte's. . . .ever
Because when it comes down to it. . .it's all about the coffee

May this thankful journey be one of great joy.
This is my one song I am trying to listen to, to put one foot in front of the other.
It's a brand new day.
Make it count.
No matter what you're going through. . .
And may you feel the hope rising.







No comments:

Post a Comment