Monday, November 25, 2013

I almost missed it. . .Day #25 of Thankfulness

 I almost missed it.
I almost walked away without seeing. 
 Something caught my eye; something made me look again.


Someone had written love with leaves. 
I would have missed it, because I was so focused on the grief.
Because sometimes it takes all I have to breathe in, and out.
I would have missed it if I had gone a day later.
The bitter wind and snow falling.
I would have missed it, if I hadn't have taken another look. 
 I am reminded of how much we are all in this together. 
Love. 
 The love of a son, brother, cousin, friend, nephew, grandchild, boy friend.
Silenced now.
Love.
Oh, how he is loved.
And oh, how he is missed.


I think we miss a lot of things if we're not careful. If we're so caught up in the doing and being.
If we're not quiet and still before the LORD, how can he speak to us?
How can he breathe life, deep into our hurting souls?
How can we be a forgiven people if we're not in His presence to confess?
To lay it all down at His feet.
And I ponder these things.
We will gather this week to give thanks, to share an elaborate meal together.
To celebrate the bounty of the season.


It feels strange to celebrate. 
But we are celebrating God's goodness.

Psalm 106:1
Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, 
for he is good; his love endures forever.

His provision in the hard times.
His support when those early Americans were nearly spent and worn.
He provided for their needs.
So, I will be still as he pours soothing balm on my hurting heart.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches 
of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Day #25 of Thankfulness

I am Thankful for:
Messages at the Cemetery
Slow Sunday afternoons
a clean kitchen because I chatted with my cousin
quiet time with the kids
a warm house (really, its cold out there)
Worship
Warm blankets on cold nights
clean laundry
My farmer and his youngest, all snuggled, watching Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" -her choice and she can quote the movie and sing the songs, Nana would be so proud
a warm house (did I mention that? I still marvel at the concept of wood available)
our God who never leaves us or forsakes us-even when we don't feel like he's real close
the hope  we have no matter the journey

Psalm 46:10
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”






No comments:

Post a Comment