Friday, March 7, 2014

Chasing A Squirrel, While Trying To Be Quiet

I close my eyes.
I let the quiet settle over me.
The sun shines through the window.


The warmth permeates the deep of the cold. 
It feels so good after below zero weather. 
I let it pour over me. 
My desire is to listen.
To hear.
To be quiet in God's presence.
Why is it so hard to just be; to sit quietly before the Lord?
I compromise.
 I will just praise Him for his goodness.
No. 
I want to try to be silent.
I start to run through my list.
I want Him to speak to me.
I want to hear His voice. 
Like the sheep who listen to their Master's voice.

John 10:27
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.


We can't know His voice until we listen and seek. 
I am floored by the need to avoid the silence.
We fill quiet with music, the computer, television;
all the little electronic devices have some sort of music available. 

As I was writing my Christmas cards in the hospital this year,


 I happened to write a status on face book bemoaning the fact that I needed Christmas music.
 I was quickly reminded by numerous folks about what I had right at my fingertips.
 I had my kindle and Gary's and my cell phones.
 I had access to the music.
 I just needed to implement the right tools to have it available. 
We have unlimited access to God.
 He's right there. He longs for us to know his voice.
 He longs for us to come into His presence. 
This Lent, as I practice the skill of being quiet,
 (yes I know, this is killing some of you; the thought of me being quiet) 
I will seek to know the Shepherd's voice. 
I will quiet down the churning thoughts. 
Do you struggle with this?
I will quiet the need to have answers. 
I will surrender the hurt and pain. 
I will trust to move from the "why's"; to the "what next".
God is working.
 He will not slumber. He will not sleep. 

Palm 121:3-5
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.

Behold, He who keeps Israel Will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper; The LORD is your shade on your right hand.


He will never leave us nor forsake us. 

Deutoronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, 
for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

We have lots of decisions to make here on the farm in the next few weeks. 


If the Lord brings us to mind would you pray too? 
Or be still and see what He says.
As this Lenten journey continues;


I will seek to listen.
I am going to keep my journal out and be ready to hear what He is speaking to my heart.
I hope your Lenten Journey is changing you. 





1 comment:

  1. Great posting, Tammy! 'Quietness' was the word the Lord had given me at the beginning of the year, as I am in transition in my life, and really need to know and plan what to do after May, when my youngest graduates from H.S., and I will look for a new place to work and live. But He has shown me that all the thinking and planning I need to do needs to be according to HIS Will and Timing...not mine. And to listen for His Voice, I need to quiet down anything else. So, quietness is bearing fruit already...and I am reminded that 'in quietness and confidence will be my strength'. I pray the same for you and your dear Farmer & Family. Love & Prayers, Marguerite

    ReplyDelete