Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Cost Of The Cross

Poor man's fertilizer. 
The temperature has dropped 30 degrees. 
The water has traveled outside it's boundaries. 


Warm air has given way to a bitter wind. 
Reminding us that winter has not had it's final say. 
It is Holy Week. 
For some, this means nothing.
For me. 
It is everything. 
The journey Jesus took to the cross is the defining piece of my faith. 
He came into Jerusalem Hailed as King and left Jerusalem via the cross.
He took on the dirty and broken; so that we might live. 
He died to save a wretch like me; 
when He himself was sinless. 
And as we travel to the cross this week. 
I weigh the cost. 
He had no regard for his own being. 
He willingly laid down his life for mine. 
It was not taken. He gave. 
I do nothing to deserve it. 
It's mine. Because He said so. 
As I watch rivers skip their banks,
 and water erode a section on a road in a matter of moments;
I am reminded that things of this earth are temporal. 


This is not our home. 

Matthew 6:19-21
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, 
where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;
 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

We're not home yet. 
This journey here is but a moment in the eyes of the Lord. 
We grieve this week for a friend. 
I am trying to sort it all out. 
We rejoice that he is home. 
He died serving. 
The cost of the cross. 
Doing what He felt God called Him to do. 
My heart knows this. 
But when that calling was for you the guilt thief struts in.
Bold and brass.
He died to help a wretch like me.
We will pay our last respects and celebrate his home going. 
Tucked right in the middle of Palm Sunday and Maundy Thursday. 
There is deep spiritual significance there. 
I will wrestle with this joy in the midst of grief. 
We are a people who grieve with hope; no matter how heavy the load becomes. 


All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong. 
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong. 







No comments:

Post a Comment