Sunday, May 4, 2014

What He Has Gained

The bell tolls.
It's been more than 20 years since I have heard that sound.
It stirs the memories held deep.
The 4 months I lived across the street.
When time was measured by the toll of the bell.


The hour. The half.
It seems like a life time ago.
All my future still before me.
Young, innocent.
My walk with God was different then.
He was all I had.
There were few distractions.
Much time spent in prayer.
Though the richness and depth came with time.
As I turn the corner the tolls end.
I can feel the companion of sadness and loss begin to permeate.
It is still hard to think clearly.
Every thought turns to Elijah and what I have lost.
I miss him so much.
I begin my thankful prayers.

Lord, I am grateful for:
The memory reminded by the tolling bell.
Being there at the right moment to hear.
This van and all that gave so we could have.
I pull into our driveway and I continue the praise.
I am grateful for the folks who raked.
The yard looks so nice.
A relief from all the other pieces that need to be done.
My heart feels lighter.
I breathe deep.
I find rest in God alone.
He is my refuge and my strength.

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Today I will rest in what Elijah has gained.
The joy he is experiencing.
Isn't that what we each want for our children?
We want them to grow in the likeness of a Holy God.
We want them to be all they can be in Christ.
For their lives to reflect the deep joy known through a relationship with Christ.
He has attained that.
He is with God.
He is complete.  

No comments:

Post a Comment