Thursday, November 12, 2015

Through the Music Day #12 of Thankfulness

I clean up the kitchen. 
Last nights mess. 
Not even the current chaos. 
There is a presence in this place. 
A peace. 
Remembering in the pain. 
It's grip strong today. 
I play music.
Beautiful.  
(Pandora is a wonderful thing.)

The urge to call my mom strong. 
To talk about holiday plans; and a list of so many other things. 
The music plays on
It soothes my being. 
I recognize the melody and style. 
Both favorites of my mom. 
Interesting how that song, played by that accompanist would come on at this exact moment. 
I move through the tasks of tidying up; my heart filled with gratitude. 
I may have lost much in a short amount of time. 
But I had much to lose. . . and for that I am grateful. 



I am thankful for:

 my mom who filled our home with a great love for many things
music that stirs the memory like no other
a family that grew up with music
the memories of holidays filled with joy and excitement
knowing that God holds all these things 
the ache that will one day be taken away
a view of open land and a gorgeous mountain
children who know the meaning of work
the opportunity for my farmer and kids to go to Haiti
this practice of digging into gratitude
the unseasonably warm days and bright sunshine
hanging clothes to dry in November
a freezer full of summer
baking
the first sip of the mornings hot coffee 
the quiet before the farmhouse stirs


May this day hold for you much gratitude. 
A lightening and surrender of the burden you carry. 


1Thessolonians 5:18
give thanks in all circumstances; 
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment