Monday, November 30, 2015

What? November is Over Already? Day # 30 of Thankfulness

We were off the farm for a little over 24 hours.
Attending a baptism. 
Being with family. 
Trying to embrace this new change. 
Pushing through the loss and grief and all we have known. 

We have been blessed. 
It's so hard because it was so good. 
Not perfect. 
At all. 
But good. 
And the memories made; a treasure. 
We want that for our kids. 

Memories. 
Laughter. 
Family. 
Grace. 

This last day of November is the 30th day of Thankfulness. 
My how this month has flown by. 
Each day wanting, trying, working to enter Thankfully. 

Why is it so hard to walk with gratitude? 
Why is my default always grumbling and complaining. 

The Israelite's were not even to the Red Sea, after their Exodus from Egypt before they were desiring to go back. 
Wanting to go to what was familiar. 
Even though it included slavery and opression. 
But Moses told them,

Eodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

God is at work. 
He is fighting for me. . . He is fighting for you. 
Picture that. 
Someone, loves you enough to be fighting for you. 
We can't always see how it is going. 
It may not feel like anything is happening. 
All we see is heartache and turmoil. 
I assure you. 
He is fighting. 
He is holding tightly and will never let you go. 
Ever.


I am thankful for:
reminders that I am loved and held by the Author and
 Creator of this vast Universe
 joy that comes from deep within
moments of reflection and quiet
coffee and the warmth of a fire
a light dusting of snow after these long beautiful fall days
a farm boy who turns the Christmas Tree lights on as soon as he gets home
the smell of clean laundry
grace, that covers a multitude of sin
the act of intentional gratitude
the hope of Advent
the memories I hold so dear
brothers who are silly and goofy
sisters in laws that love my brothers
another day to seek and serve as God's child



I hope these 30 days of Thankfulness have strengthened
 your walk with God. 
That walking intentionally into gratitude leaves you full of grace and mercy for those around you. 

They say that it takes 30 days to establish a habit. 
It will take me years of walking this path purposefully to shake the complaining gene. 
But I am willing to walk the path to greater living. 
May I someday be able to say as Paul did.
He had learned, no matter what he face, to be content in all circumstances. 


Philippians 4:12
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

May we all continue to name our gratitude each and every day. 




1 comment: