Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Will You Help, So They Can Go? Day #24 of Thankfulness

Missions.
What do you think when you hear the word?
 Overseas?
Foreign country?
 For the first 15 years of my life I attended a Methodist Church. 
Missional in its purpose. 
I remember filling barrels with clothing to send over seas. 
I remember the barrels. 
We prayed continually for other countries and the missionaries. 
Vacation Bible School was a challenge to raise funds to purchase chickens and milk for families in need. 
I remember holding tightly to the quarter in my hot sweaty hand.
I remember the poster board chart. 
 The chicken and milk column's growing with each day. 
The desire to help deeply rooted. 
When I was 15 we switched to an Evangelical Covenant Church. 
Missionaries, there, had faces. 
They came and there were potluck dinners. 
They shared about their work; what God was doing. 

At home my father often became incensed
 when talking about serving in other countries. 
His philosophy; why can't we take care of our own? 
There are so many people in need. 
Right here in our own backyard. 

Until we end poverty in our own backyard we have no business going other places. . . he would say. 

These practices throughout my childhood led me to apply to be a missionary teacher in a mountainous community in Virginia when I graduated college. 
I was not accepted. 
(Good thing)
 I had no experience. 
I was an incredibly naive, city girl. 

But these experiences and the desire never left. 
Somehow I wanted to help.
My farmer had the opportunity to go with Josh McDowell's ministry
 to Romania about 15 years ago. 
The Lord closed the door tightly. 
The loss of his parents. 
Then two more children were added to the scene. 
And so many other life happenings. 
The opportunity never presented itself again. 
Until death and cancer knocked on the door. 
The urgency to go became so real for my farmer. 
He wanted his kids to experience another culture. 
I wanted to help get them there. 
And so an article in a pamphlet and a response from our community sent my farmer and his daughter to the country of Haiti. 


The experience changing them forever. 


This year their desire to go is even more fervent. 
They want to take a team. 
And God is slowly opening those doors. 

We would love to have you enter in this journey with us. 
First and foremost we need people to pray. 
There are so many logistics for this trip. 

Second we need folks to partner with us financially. 
We are not in a place to handle this on our own. 
We recognize that. 
We also recognize if the funds are not there. 
Then the trip for all of them is not meant to be. 

So if you are inclined to pray please come along side us. 
Send us a note, or just keep us in mind. 


Donate to Haiti Trip

There is also a Davis Family account at the Jericho Merchants Bank. 

Thank you to those who have already so graciously given. 

Please be sure to click on the Haiti Project tab and enter in the memo box 
Davis Trip to Haiti. 



Thirdly we are collecting supplies to fill suitcases to bring to the people. 
Through your generous donations, last year,  we were able to send 2 full suitcases of supplies. This year we are hoping to fill 9 suitcases!
Items that we are aware of are; feminine products, deodorant, bra's and underwear for teen girls. 

There is also an exciting opportunity for you to meet the team leader of this Haitian Trip and ways to serve right here in the United States!

While Global Compassion Network serves over seas, they also function in the United States as an Emergency First Response to disasters. 
They have equipped trailers with Emergency supplies to meet a Communities needs when Natural disasters occur. 
Dennis will talk to us about the many ways you can be involved in this ministry. 

Please join us, Friday, December 4, 2015, at 6:30 pm. in the

A light supper of beans and rice will be served. 
There will also be an opportunity to hear from a couple who are interested in bringing 2 Nicaraguan Orphans here to the states to help educate and equip them to go back to live in Nicaragua. 



I am thankful for:
an opportunity to serve
children who want to serve others
realizing our needs are met each day
prayer
intimacy with Christ
a home bursting with giggles and friends and kids home
a quiet night with my farmer
lessons I am learning while giving thanks
running water and heat
The crisp air, reminding us that winter is on the way
a freezer full of summer
a puppy that is mending well
a farm boy that is so grateful
a God that knows my needs before I even speak them


I pray your Thankfulness journey is going well. 
Something changes us when we give thanks. 

Remember to mark your calendars for Dec. 4, at 6:30.
Come partner with us in these exciting opportunities. 

Proverbs 19:17
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, 
and he will reward them for what they have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment