Monday, November 23, 2015

Finding the Rock in the Swirling, Chaos Day #23 of Thankfulness

 My life flows on in endless song;
above earth’s lamentation,
I catch the sweet, though far-off hymn
that hails a new creation.

It is Thanksgiving Sunday. 
The choir sings a long loved Hymn. 

Through all the tumult and the strife,
I hear that music ringing.
It finds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

The words piercing. 
Encouraging. 

What though my joys and comforts die?
I know my Savior liveth.
What though the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth. 

A melody I have  hummed repeatedly over the years. 

No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I’m clinging.
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
how can I keep from singing?


The words play through my mind. 
Strength and power held in their prose. 
This latest challenge has shaken me. 
And I have almost stopped the singing. 
My inmost calm a raging tempest. 

While the choir sings I closed my eyes. 




"No storm can shake my inmost calm, 
While to that rock I'm clinging."


Though the waters rage around me. 
I have found the calm. 
Not from within. 
But from above. 
I am a churning, whirling mess. 
A cyclone of emotions. 

Through it all the melody plays. . .
The words a resounding message. 

Through all the tumult and the strife,
I hear that music ringing.
It finds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

While the heaviness threatens to pull me under. 
I choose to sing today. 
I choose to cling. 






I am thankful for:
the hard times that teach me to cling
a son that is digging deep these days
a time to break bread with our church family 
and gather to sing the Ancient Hymns
grace and new mercies each day
friends who listen and love
a family that grieves and works together
wind chimes - that though I am not near the ocean - they remind me
sleep- I still love to go to bed
the warmth of the fire and hot coffee in the quiet
Emergency Vet clinics and the miracle they performed
the hope we have- even though we do not know the future, God does



Psalm 59:16
But I will sing of your strength, 
in the morning I will sing of your love; 
for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.

As this world swirls and chaos finds you. 
May you cling to that Rock. 
And may there be a lovely song. 



3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful and thoughtful article.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear the music blessed you. It was a joy to work hard on the song with the choir. It is a wonderful song to have buzzing around in my head. I found myself singing it all day on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much. That is a Hymn I have loved through the ages. Thank you for all your hard work to make music to lift our souls!

      Delete