Saturday, November 8, 2014

Some Days I Find It Hard To Be Thankful Day # 8 of Thankfulness

Do you find it difficult to be Thankful some days?
The effort it takes to clear away the negativity; overpowering. 
Your mind fills with the, "what you've losts" and the, "what's wrong's".
It feels trite to dig for Thankfulness. 
Sarcasm fills the soul. 
It's an easy place to step. 
A pity party. 
Soon we are covered in a nice cocoon of "woe is me."
We are entitled, right?
The rain and dreariness outside has come to reside on the inside. 
But, take a closer look at the soul.
The place where most refuse to travel. 
Pain and heartache stuffed for years. 
Sweet platitudes exchanged while never reaching below the surface. 
Our souls are worth more. 
They were created for more. 
We rest in the sheltered cocoon where we convince ourselves that we deserve to stay. 
We've paid a price in loss. 
 Yet, our souls are worth more. 

Habakkuk 317-19
Though the fig tree should not blossom And there be no fruit on the vines, Though the yield of the olive should fail And the fields produce no food, Though the flock should be cut off from the fold And there be no cattle in the stalls,Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord GOD is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds' feet, And makes me walk on my high places. For the choir director, on my stringed instruments.

The battle rages because we try; in our strength, to overcome. 
We listen to the overtones of the latest trends. 
Find yourself. Reach deep with in. 
You can overcome. 
But can we? In our own strength
I think not.
It is in the surrender that the soul comes alive. 
When the holy reaches down for what it created. 

Psalm 8:3-5
When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained; What is man that You take thought of him, And the son of man that You care for him? Yet You have made him a little lower than God, And You crown him with glory and majesty!…

Our souls are cradled in the loving hands of the One who created them. 
We are loved and desired. 
Even in the despair. 
Even in the sheltered cocoon. 
God reaches down to lift us up. 
He makes us new. 

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. 
The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

This is when the soul is able to say. 
"It is well, with my soul."

Hebrews 6:19
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. 
It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain,

When we allow God to enter that inner sanctuary we are laid bare. 
We can bloom where there is heartache and pain. 
He can meet us in the deep, raw ache and pain. 
We can say, "it is well."
We can step out of the sheltered cocoon and walk in gratitude.


I am thankful for:

A dreary day to help me to see past the pain
A day that started out dreary and now the sun peeks through
High School Cabaret's
Amazing student talent
The camaraderie of the High School students
Clean kitchen counters
Quiet time with the Lord
My children who teach me to laugh
Lessons I am learning in spite of the pain
Eyes to see beauty through the tears
Hope
Friends who listen, over and over
Coffee 
My farmer, who patiently tries to understand
God and his patience with me, His reminder that He will never, ever let us go


Selah is one my most favorite groups. I love their older pieces where Nicole and Todd (brother and sister) sing. Their harmony is tight. The way it is with siblings. May the words of this fill your soul. May you think of Horatio Spafford and all he lost;
 yet still penned the words to this song. 

Selah
It Is Well With My Soul




No comments:

Post a Comment