Wednesday, November 26, 2014

What A Clean Refrigerator Can Do You For Thankfulness Meter Day # 26 of Thankfulness

Something died in my refrigerator. And I can't find it.
The search has begun.
There is not much in there because we have been away.
But the offending odor must be discovered.
So I do what any self respecting mother does; 
I go to coffee with my girl friends and leave this on the chore list for the girls. 
When I return, the girls have complied with my request. 
(And I didn't find anything tucked under my sheets. I checked)
I did get a glare from the 17 year old. 
It had left her speechless. 
What I was unprepared for was a few days later when I saw something on the shelf in the door. 
It was a bag. 
A plastic bag. 
A bag that I thought the farm boy had taken care of. 
See, he enjoys parts of the cow like, tongue, heart and liver. 
He wanted to cook those. 
I will cook liver. 
That's it. 
The rest; you're on your own. 
And he was. 
And apparently so were the parts. 
Because there they were a week later. 
In my refrigerator
I called the farmer to my rescue. 
He's good at that. 
He's had years of practice. 
He kept a brave front and removed the remains. 
(he doesn't eat liver or any other part)
So. 
Now our refrigerator is smelling just fine. 
No odd forms of mold to be seen. 
Just in time to fill it full with Thanksgiving bounty.
We have so very much to be grateful for.
I pray that this season of Thankfulness has challenged you 
and opened your eyes in new ways. 
I know for me it continues to keep my thoughts resting on the 
One who gave all so we might live. 


I am thankful for:
daughters who will clean-gross things
quiet moments in the cemetery
deep breaths and hope in Christ
the pink sky in the sunset
the clouds hovering over Mount Mansfield
coffee- in a mug or a cup
a daughter who scours my car for my lost Starbucks card
sunshine and blue skies in November
the ways God is showing our family grace and how to live together
(because it's not easy)
rhythm of farm life
the warmth of the kitchen and the smells of Thanksgiving
my grandparents and parents who established beautiful holiday routines

May all of your preparations for Thanksgiving be full of intentional peace and joy. 
For those of you, like me, who have lost deeply, take a deep breath and hand it all over to the Lord. He will make all of our pain beautiful in his time. 

Ecclesiastes 3:11
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Resting only on solid ground this holiday. 
I humbly seek you Lord. 
I surrender all. 
Reflecting only on the blessings here and now. 
Especially a clean refrigerator. 


Hillsong
I Surrender






1 comment:

  1. Emma cleaned my fridge yesterday too. I am one.happy.mama. I love it when they reach inside to bless. Praying that your Thanksgiving will be filled with many reasons to rejoice!

    ReplyDelete