Sunday, November 9, 2014

What Does Trust Look Like When You Have Lost So Much? Day #9 of Thankfulness

He, the farmer junior, has gone to a banquet with a friend and her family. 
She, the farmers daughter,  is at work. 
Each time they leave, I hold my breath. 
Will they return? 
I become paralyzed, sometimes, when I don't hear from them. 
When I don't know what time they will be in. 
I sit and I wait. 
My heart weighs heavy. 
My thoughts run to accidents and death; police and funerals. 
It is work to grieve. 
It is work to trust. 
Because in that trusting it doesn't mean your wishes and desires will be heard.
Praying for protection for your kids and family doesn't mean that it will happen. 
It doesn't keep the police from coming to your door to tell you your
 17 year old met Jesus at a power pole. 
It doesn't stop cancer from reaching in with its claws to squeeze the life out of your farmer. 
It doesn't keep the joy thief from waltzing into your life. 
No, it is in the trusting and prayer that a rock solid path is established for when these trials of life come barreling in.
And they will come barreling in. 
Your feet are set on a firm foundation. 
Though you may bend and flail. 
You will not falter. 
Your hope is not set on earthly things. 

Colossians 3:1-2
Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 
Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

As I work through these fears and trials. 
My eyes remain fixed above. 
All else pales in comparison to our God; 
to his immeasurable grace and goodness. 
He is Holy. 
He is able to take on all my fear, all my questions.
May you know that deep, rich love that only comes from above. 
As you lay your burdens down and take up the cross;
 may you step into gratitude; even for the pain, even for the heartache. 

Isaiah 43:19
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.

30 Days of Thankfulness~




I am thankful for:
Sunday; a Sabbath rest
Time for fellowship with other believers
Encouragement to walk this road
A time for corporate worship
The freedom we have to gather to worship God 
Lessons learned as we journey this road
grace that God gives so freely
Fundraising dinners and hope after cancer
Music 
my children that remind me to stop, snuggle, and love
a warm house; so, so grateful
coffee; hot, rich and delightful
days where it's hard to be thankful; there are many lessons learned
prayer
late night conversations with my daughter
waiting for my farmer junior to come; the wait is hard
the years I had with Elijah, each event and moment; I am blessed

I Thessalonians 5:17-18
pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; 
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 


Michael W Smith
Agnus Dei



No comments:

Post a Comment