Friday, November 28, 2014

Reflections On The Day After Day #28 of Thankfulness

It's the day after. 
The day after 22 people for dinner.
The day after we bowed low in Thanksgiving for the deep gift we have been given. 
After the Turkey and pies and steaming cups of coffee. 


After giggles and playing in snow. 
Now, it is the wee hours of quiet; the day after. 
One daughter off to work. 
Retail and Black Friday. 
My farmer; milking, overseeing all that needs to be done. 
It is also 16 months since our red head walked this earth. 


2 Thanksgivings he has rejoiced with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
2 Thanksgivings that have challenged me to my core;
 of choosing to step into gratitude. 
My quest to reach for Jesus in every moment. 
Seeking Him more. 
He knows my name. 
How can I fully know His more? 

Philippians 3:10
I want to know Christ--yes, to know the power of his resurrection 
and participation in his sufferings, 
becoming like him in his death,

This is the day we also head to gather our Christmas Tree. 
A tradition begun long ago. 
Years of Currier and Ives moments when my dad would pull the truck up to the side doors and the farm house double doors would be flung open. 
Babies all snuggled here at the house while mom and I decorate 
and pink hot chocolate simmered on the stove. 


The fighting being over tired and not wanting to decorate the tree. 

How the little kids kept putting all the ornaments on the bottom 
of the tree and how funny it looked. 
Someone invariably storming off because they were mad. 
Such happy ,delightful memories. 
So, today we will head to the woods -ok the family will head to the woods, I will stay in the house where it is warm and I can appreciate the snow from the inside- and gather the smells of Christmas and bring it home. 
We will pack up Fall and usher in Winter. 

The Season of Advent upon us. 

A time to reflect and seek to be fully known. 
To know fully the One who came to give all. 

Because, don't we all want to be known?

Don't we all long to be understood and be heard. 
There is One who hears. 
Who longs for His people to return to Him. 

This day, as the Tree is placed and the lights are hung, may this preparation prepare my heart to enter in. 

Into Thanksgiving, into knowing God more fully. 
He knows our name. 
No matter how much I struggle with resting in a God who knows my name; yet also allowed my heart to shatter into a million pieces, he does know my name. 
And He will one day make all things right. 
I pray that your heart is surrendered to the King of Kings and that your soul rejoices in the free gift He has given to All. 

I am thankful for:
Clarissa's friends here for a visit
a home full of teenagers and children
a kitchen that needs much cleaning
a day ahead of decorating for Christmas
the Season of Advent
a warm home and hot coffee
(which I ruined the first cup by thinking somehow
 I would grow to like egg nog in my coffee)
leftovers
meals you can create with leftovers
snow softly falling
17 Thanksgivings with my red head
a God who know my name
growth in spite of the pain
the gift of grace
friends who continually help us journey on
a family from California who shared the meal at our farmhouse table
the quiet moments where God reaches down and soothes my aching heart
the hope of today and strength He gives

Francesca Battistelli

He Knows My Name 

He calls me chosen,  free, forgiven, 
wanted, Child of the King
His forever, held and treasured, 
I am loved




No comments:

Post a Comment